Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Elk River

For the first four years of my life we lived in Elk River, Minnesota. Elk River has had an operating post office since 1876. From 1866 to 1876 it was called Elk River Station. The town had a sawmill and a hydro electric  power plant in the Elk River Station days. Agriculture became the main business before the end of the 19th century and the town had a population of over 2000 people in 1870. The largest farm, (The Kelley Farm) is still around and is on the Historic Register. It has not been an operating farm for as long as I can remember. It is open for tours with people dressed in period  costumes and utilizing 19th century farm equipment.
Many people may also remember that Elk River had one of the nation's first nuclear power plants that has been called Minnesota's Chernobyl in recent years. An accident in the early 60's closed it down and the reactor was removed and buried. There have been conflicting stories and I don't  know the whole true story. Somewhere I have a postcard of it that I will post.
My family history in Elk River was my dad was born and raised there.My grandparents  were there  for at least 70 years with my grandfather being a business leader in town. He had a Chevy dealership from 1923 until 1961. He was an officer at the local bank and he had been mayor of Elk River at the same time Hubert Humphrey was mayor of Minneapolis. I have correspondence from HHH to my Grandfather from that time period. My immediate family lived there from the early 50's or late 40's until 1962.

In these two covers the first is from Elk River Station from March 9, 1873. It does have an enclosure that is a family letter that mainly is about a big snowstorm. The second is from Elk River dated February 20 1878. It does not have an enclosure.


No comments:

Post a Comment